Two tunnels From the station, two tunnels go beneath the Thames, arriving on each side of Chelsea Bridge.
One goes to Vauxhall Road Station, used by buses; the other continues to South Kensington Station, used by trains.
Both tunnels were constructed at about the same time (1829-36) as the original London Tube line that is now known as the Victoria Line. They are identical tunnels with a central passage way for passengers to walk through. Each tunnel has four tracks with an intermediate signal box located between them. The walls inside the tunnels are lined with limestone from the local area which helps to keep the temperature stable.
The first tunnel was built as part gantlet for a new road and was named "Road Tunnel". The second one was built as part of a railway project and was named "Railway Tunnel".
Today, both tunnels form part of the Metropolitan Railway network. Vauxhall Road Station is served by buses going to places such as Clapham Junction, Wimbledon, Putney, Richmond, and Kew while South Kensington Station is used by trains going to locations such as Charing Cross, Covent Garden, Leicester Square, and King's Cross.
The Blackwall Tunnel is a pair of road tunnels beneath the River Thames in east London, England, connecting the London Borough of Tower Hamlets to the Royal Borough of Greenwich and forming part of the A102 route. Both the Silvertown and Blackwall Tunnels will be tolled when they are finished in 2025. The cost is expected to be £720 million.
The first section of the Blackwall Tunnel opened on 3 November 1891. It was built by the London & Stour Valley Railway as an extension to its East London Line between Shadwell and Shellbury Banks stations. The railway was leased by the London Bridge Iron Shipyard which used it as a connection to the River Thames while building ships for the Navy. In 1913, the shipyard closed and the tunnel was abandoned. It has been unused since then except for occasional trespassing. In 2002, work began on the second phase of the Blackwall Tunnel project which involves adding two more lanes to the existing road tunnel. This work is due to finish in 2020 but the new toll booths and other facilities will not be ready until 2025.
You can drive through both tunnels in about 15 minutes. There are no restrictions on vehicle sizes so large trucks can come through too!
The Blackwall Tunnel gets its name because it runs below the old entrance to the Blackwall Yard, which was a dock area next to the Isle of Dogs.
The Greenwich Foot Tunnel connects Island Gardens on the Isle of Dogs with Greenwich, with an entrance near the Cutty Sark. The tunnel was built in 1902 and was recently renovated. It is open daily from 9:30 AM to 5 PM during winter, and until 6 PM during summer months.
The London Underground's District line runs along the south bank of the river, serving several major stations including Charing Cross, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, and Waterloo. The North London Line crosses over the river at King's Cross station.
The City branch of the London Underground's Circle, Hammersmith & City, and Metropolitan lines run along the east bank of the river, while the West London Line follows the west bank route through Paddington. All three branches serve several major stations including Edgware Road, Marylebone, Baker Street, Bond Street, Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus, and Victoria.
The Docklands Light Railway (DLR) runs along the north bank of the river, connecting various points in East London with each other and with the city center. The DLR has 12 stations in all, with the exception of Millbank which is located on the South Bank. The only other transport option into central London from here is by taxi.