The region was dubbed "Las Vegas" by visitors, which is Spanish meaning "The Meadows" or "Fertile Plains." On May 3, 1844, John C. Fremont journeyed into the Las Vegas Valley while it was still part of Mexico. He reported that he had found grasslands everywhere and believed they could support hundreds of thousands of cattle. He also noted mountain peaks beyond what he called "the great valley," probably referring to the Southern Desert. These reports led to the government granting land patents to several individuals who came looking for riches. No gold was found, but farmers began to settle the area.
After the Mexican-American War, in 1848, America claimed Las Vegas as part of its own territory. In a treaty with the local tribes, they were granted land along the southern edge of the valley in exchange for peace. The government built roads, established schools, and provided medical care for the natives. This is how the city's hospital got its start. By 1855, there were enough people living in Las Vegas for the town to be incorporated.
In 1861, at the beginning of the American Civil War, Nevada became a union state and voted to join the country. This means that now Nevada is part of the United States. Many soldiers from both sides passed through the area during the war years, including Union General George S. Greene who visited Las Vegas on his way to fight Indians in Arizona.
Rafael Rivera was the first person of European heritage to visit the Las Vegas valley in 1821 as part of Antonio Armijo's expedition to build up a trade route—the Old Spanish Trail—between New Mexico and California. Rivera dubbed the valley Las Vegas "the Meadows" from the spring-watered grass that grows there. The name later was applied to other similar valleys in southern Nevada and northern Mexico.
The first permanent settlement was established by Erastus D. Culver, who claimed land for himself and others in 1829. They built their homes near what is now Main Street and Central Avenue. The town was called "New York" because of its abundance of trees loaded with ripe fruit. These included mulberries, grapes, and apples. The settlers also found buffalo bones along the banks of the Little Colorado River looking like huge sticks of chalk. These were made into weapons and tools for themselves. They also used the meat for food.
In 1847, Brigham Young led a group of about 400 people down the Mississippi River from Illinois to Utah. Some of them went as far as the present site of Las Vegas and set up camp on the desert floor near the confluence of the Little Colorado and the main river. This was known as Commerce City because it was the start of the railroad that would take goods to market. In 1849, Thomas L. McKennan arrived with a group of Mormons and settled about five miles south of where the previous two groups had lived.
The location drew local Paiute as well as traders, emigrants, and gold seekers along the Old Spanish Trail to California because it had the only free-flowing water and pasture for miles. The Spaniards dubbed the area "las vegas," which translates as "the meadows." Today, these words are used to describe a large number of casinos in Nevada.
In addition to being the first city in Nevada to be settled, it is also the oldest living city in Nevada. Las Vegas was founded on February 14th, 1845 by Jose Antonio Navarro and Francisco Moraga. The town was moved to its current site after being destroyed by an earthquake in 1863.
Today, Las Vegas is known for gambling, shopping, and entertainment. There are many ways to get around town including buses, taxis, and car rentals. The main drag is called Las Vegas Boulevard, and there are many hotels, restaurants, shops, museums, and other attractions along this street. The average price of real estate in Las Vegas is high; however, there are cheaper options if you look around. People from all over the world come to visit Las Vegas because of what it has to offer: gambling, shopping, and music.
In conclusion, why did the Spanish call Las Vegas Las Vegas? Because it had fresh water, pastures, and was located near heavy traffic traveling along the Old Spanish Trail to California.