Do you need a GTCC to deploy?

Do you need a GTCC to deploy?

According to a SAF/FM document dated Nov. 8, 2017, the usage of a government travel charge card (GTCC) is now required for all Air Force employees while performing official travel. Centrally billed accounts can no longer be used to make travel bookings. The requirement applies to new assignments as well as changes of address or duty station.

The deployment credit will be issued in the same amount that would have been credited to your account if you had paid for your travel with cash. It can only be used to cover unallowable expenses such as foreign exchange fees, incidentals, and transportation costs associated with official duties.

Employees must submit a request for reimbursement no later than 30 days after the end of their deployment. Reimbursement requests should be submitted in writing to the chief finance officer at least 60 days before the date of departure. Employees should keep track of unallowable expenses to reduce the time it takes them to receive their reimbursement check.

All reimbursable expenses must be substantiated by supporting documentation such as hotel receipted bills, airline tickets, etc. Employees are responsible for ensuring that they obtain all necessary permissions before traveling on government-funded trips and for reporting their trip details accurately using the Traveler Support System (TRAVELER).

Government officials may not ask employees to perform any illegal activity or act contrary to their moral convictions.

What exactly is the GTCC army?

The Department of Defense's Government Travel Charge Card (GTCC) Program offers passengers an efficient and easy way to pay for official travel costs. All employees (military or civilian) are required to pay for all official travel expenditures, including meals on TDY and PCS (where applicable). Employees can use their government credit card to make these payments electronically - there is no need to send cash or checks.

For active duty personnel, the amount charged to your account will be refunded via a monthly check if you aren't able to pay during the month when your statement is sent out. For more information on how military pay works, visit our website at

In addition, all officers and enlisted personnel are permitted to charge up to $10,000 in expenses to their accounts each year. These expenses include travel costs as well as purchase prices for items such as food and merchandise while on duty. Any excess amounts over $10,000 must be submitted with your tax return as a claim for reimbursement.

The GTCC program was created by Congress in 1990 as part of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (OBRA '90). The law allows federal agencies to reimburse their employees for up to 100 percent of their actual travel-related expenses (excluding taxes).

How does a GTCC work?

The Government Travel Charge Card Program (GTCC) offers passengers a secure, effective, convenient, and commercially available way to pay for official travel expenditures. Individually billed accounts (IBAs) and centrally billed accounts (CBAs) are both included in the GTCC (CBAs). An IBA can only be used in connection with one trip, while a CBA can be used for multiple trips. When traveling on an American Airlines or United Airlines ticket, you must present your GTCC at check-in to pay for any additional expenses such as phone calls, snacks, and drinks. If your flight is canceled, we will honor your charge card for up to $500 per person.

What are the requirements for a GTCC? You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien to be eligible for a GTCC. Your card will not be issued if you have been convicted of a crime involving fraud or dishonesty. You must be able to provide valid identification when checking in for your flight. Identification may include a driver's license, passport, national identity card, or some other form of government-issued photo ID. In some cases, a credit card may be sufficient identification documentation for check-in, depending on the airline.

Who issues GTCCs? The Treasury Department's Bureau of Fiscal Service issues the cards.

Can I use my GTCC at other government agencies? Yes.

Can you use GTC at an ATM?

Do not utilize the GTCC to go over the daily meal and incidental cost (M & IE) limit. Travelers can use their travel cards at ATMs to receive cash for "out-of-pocket" travel charges. However, these charges include items such as baggage fees and airport charges that may not be recovered from your travel card.

For example, if you carry a $10,000 balance on your card and incur $15 in charges, then your M & IE would be $5,000 ($10,000 - 10% auto draft). If your bank limits you to $5,000 per month in M & IE, then you would not be able to use your card for this charge.

In this case, you should contact your bank immediately to discuss your options. Some banks allow customers with limited income or assets to establish a special account where they can deposit funds from other accounts. The special account would act as a "trust fund" for the traveler's card. Any excess funds in the trust fund could then be used for travel purchases.

The first thing to do is make sure that you read all the terms and conditions of your credit card agreement carefully. This will help you understand what uses of your card are allowed and which ones are not. If there are any restrictions on how you can use your card, be sure to follow them.

About Article Author

Beverly Sliwa

Beverly Sliwa is a travel agent. She loves to plan people's trips, and looks forward to helping them have an unforgettable experience. When not at work, she can be found browsing through Instagram trying to find new travel inspiration.

Disclaimer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to

Related posts