Do I need to change my name on passport after marriage?

Do I need to change my name on passport after marriage?

American citizens must travel with a passport bearing their current legal name. If your name has changed as a result of marriage, you must apply for a passport name change before traveling. There is no price if your passport was issued within the last year. Otherwise, the cost is $135 for adults and $85 for children.

You will need to provide proof of your new name to replace your old one on your passport. This may be done by printing a copy of your marriage license or divorce decree and including it with your application. Your spouse must also sign it. If necessary, a notary public can authenticate your signature.

If your passport was issued more than two years ago and your name change has not been officially documented, you will need to pay a fee to extend your passport's validity. This extension can only be done in person at a diplomatic office or at a post office. The cost is $160 for adults and $100 for children under 16 years old.

Your name change cannot be processed online. You will need to print out an "Application for Passport Name Change" form from and complete it completely. Attach this form to your passport application (at the bottom) and include any evidence of your new name required by the agency.

Can I use an old passport after a name change?

United States citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or any other reason may travel in their prior name using their United States passport or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative approved document, as long as they bring proof of their name progression, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate.

Can I use my passport with my married name after a divorce?

You must travel with a passport that bears your legal name. If your name has been legally changed as a result of a divorce, you must apply for a passport name change before traveling. The process for changing your name on a passport is complicated and requires notarized documentation of your marriage, date and location of your divorce, and your new name.

A notary public can help you with this process. Notaries have offices around the country where they perform services for individuals and businesses. They can help you with signing documents (such as power of attorney papers), witness signatures for marriages, and more. Some states require notaries to be lawyers or government officials; others do not. But no matter what state you're in, it's best to find a notary who knows how to handle changes of name on passports.

The first thing you need to do is file for a name change with your local passport office. You can do this in person at a local post office or by mail. There is a fee for this service. After you've filed, wait until your application is processed. This could take several weeks or months depending on how busy their office is with other things. When we checked with our local passport agency, they said it usually takes about a month to change your name on a passport.

Does your passport number stay the same when you change your name?

Because US passports are no longer altered, when you file for a name change, you will be granted a new passport with a new number. Please keep in mind that you will need your original marriage certificate to apply for a name change. If this document is not available, a letter from the clerk of the court where you were married, stating that it is unavailable, will suffice.

In addition, some government agencies may have more information on you. For example, when you apply for a job, the employer may run a background check which includes checking your passport data. The Social Security Administration also uses the passport numbers of deceased beneficiaries to determine their benefits payments. If someone else is receiving these benefits, they will have to provide proof of identity and relationship to the deceased person.

Name changes can be complicated and involve many different types of documents, so it's best to hire a lawyer or other professional to help you with the process.

What do I need to get a new passport after marriage?

Simply fill out an application form and return it to your local passport office to obtain a new passport in your new name. Of course, you'll need the necessary paperwork, including a marriage certificate, a passport-sized colored photograph, ID verification, and your current passport.

The process is simple and fast, usually taking less than two weeks to complete. Once your new passport is issued, you can use it immediately by adding pages if needed, or saving it as a backup in case your previous one gets lost or damaged.

A new passport is important if you are planning to move abroad or take up a new job. It can also be useful if you want to change your appearance by having plastic surgery or changing your name. The more recent your passport, the higher its value on the black market. Thus, it makes sense to get a new one every few years.

You cannot renew an old passport. Instead, apply directly with a new appointment time. Note that if you miss this appointment time, you will have to wait three months before scheduling another one.

The only people who can issue passports are government officials. So if you are unable to visit any embassies or consulates to request a new document, this option is not for you. However, there are many countries where the embassy/consulate doesn't exist but their citizens can still be issued passports.

About Article Author

Jeffrey Ford

Jeffrey Ford loves to travel. He's been all over the world and has seen many beautiful places. When he's not on the road, he's busy writing about his adventures. Jeffrey has been published in National Geographic, GQ Magazine, and Men's Journal.

Disclaimer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to

Related posts