Can you travel while on parole?

Can you travel while on parole?

You must seek your parole officer for permission to go more than 50 miles from your home, and you must receive his or her consent before you leave. Before you may leave the state, you must request and get a travel permit from your parole officer, and you must keep your travel pass on you at all times. If you are arrested for another crime, you will not be able to negotiate your release with new charges. Instead, you will have to wait for resolution of the original charge to learn if you can leave custody.

The decision about whether to grant parole is completely up to the parole board. There is no set time when they must make their decision, but as a rule, it's not long after sentencing. If you were sentenced to prison time and denied parole, the board might let you know why they made this decision before you go back into custody. In some cases, they may also allow you to apply again in a few years if you've shown good behavior and are ready to be released.

If you accept responsibility for your crime and agree to comply with the terms of your parole, then you should expect to be allowed out of jail soon after sentencing. It's important to remember that parole is not freedom, but instead it is supervision by the probation department and authorization to leave jail during certain hours each day. Violate your parole by leaving the state without permission and it could result in you being sent back to prison.

Can I leave the US while on probation?

Most of the time, when on official probation, you will require authorization to leave the nation. The probation officer may be able to grant this authority, or they may choose to defer to the court. In some cases, depending on the nature of the crime for which you are being sentenced and other factors involved, your judge may be able to provide permission for you to leave the country.

If you are allowed to leave the country, there are several countries that would be appropriate destinations. These include Canada, most European nations, Australia, and New Zealand. Other possibilities include Mexico, Central America, and South America.

The best advice we can give is to speak with your probation officer about your specific situation and learn what he or she recommends. Also keep in mind that if you are denied permission to leave the country, then you will need to find another way to resolve your issue quickly. For example, if you are ordered to complete community service, then you should try to find a program near where you live so you do not have to travel long distances to fulfill your requirement.

Can you travel to another state while on probation?

Even if the individual is still on probation, it is possible for him or her to travel out of state. However, in order to do so during this period, the probation officer must allow the trip, and in some situations, the individual may only go outside the state for emergencies. The officer must also provide written permission from the court for the trip.

If an offender leaves the state without permission, he or she could be charged with a crime. As well, depending on what state you are in, your probation could be revoked if you are found guilty of a new crime.

It is important to remember that unless you have been granted leave by your probation officer, any travel beyond the borders of your home state is considered criminal activity and can result in a probation violation.

If you are considering traveling outside of state, please contact your local probation office for more information.

Can a person on parole move to another state?

You may be permitted to move to another state if you are on parole. Parole rules vary by state, but in general, a parole officer must accept a parolee's request to move or travel to another state while on parole supervision. The officer may require you to give him or her written confirmation of your intent to leave the state, and each time you change states you must tell your new supervisor.

If you are required to wear a monitoring device when on parole, then you cannot move out of state without first obtaining permission from the parole office in your home state. You should explain on what date you expect to return to court for consideration of removing the monitor, and include copies of any letters authorizing you to travel.

A person can only be paroled into one other state, and unless you receive written permission from the new state's parole agency, they will not consider you as being on parole there.

Moving across state lines with children requires special attention. If you are arrested in one state and charged with a crime in another, you could be taken into custody by police officers from the second state. They would have no way of knowing that you were released from prison in the first state, so would assume that you had not been pardoned or had your sentence reduced. They could keep you in jail until you can be returned to the original sentencing state.

About Article Author

Spring Haage

Spring Haage has a passion for writing and exploring new places. She's traveled through Europe, Asia and Africa and she's looking forward to visiting entirely new places in the near future. When not traveling or writing about her adventures, Spring can be found reading books on her bed or at a coffee shop with friends.

Related posts