Can you live in Germany with a British passport?

Can you live in Germany with a British passport?

If you resided in Germany before January 1, 2021, you must apply for a new residence permit (Aufenthaltsdokument-GB). When you apply for a new residence permit, you must have a valid UK passport. Check with your local Foreigners' Authority to see whether there is a minimum period of validity for your passport. You may be able to extend your visa by applying with the German embassy or high commission in London.

In addition to your passport, you will need: a photo; proof of address (for example, an electricity bill); and payment of a permit application fee. The cost is $140 (€130) for most applicants but can be more if your family includes young children. There is no charge if your application is submitted online.

You should apply for a permit as soon as you arrive in Germany. If you do not, you will have to leave the country to renew your visa.

People who were living in Germany on December 31, 2019, have until March 31, 2020, to apply for a permit. Those who fail to do so will be considered illegally staying in the country and could face arrest and deportation.

It is best to apply for a permit as early as possible because there are limited numbers available. If you wait until after January 1, 2021, to apply for a permit, you might not be able to get one at all.

When to report UK nationals living in Germany?

More extensive information may be found here. To receive the new residence certificate, UK citizens residing in Germany on December 31, 2020 and continuing to remain in Germany after that date must notify their residence to the foreigners' authority responsible for their place of residence by June 30, 2021. The cost is €10 ($11) for a single-page form.

An alternative way of reporting your address is via the EU Online Bidding System (EU BON). More information can be found at This system will allow you to declare your intention to move house before the new year and update your details if needed. You will need to register with the Foreigners' Registration Office (FRG) - the German name is Ausländerbehörde - who will then send you an email to confirm your registration.

If you fail to report your address by the required date and time, you will no longer be valid as a resident for residence permit purposes.

Generally speaking, if you are not using your UK passport as proof of identity (for example, if you have opted out of having your photograph taken for it), you do not need to report your change of address. However, if there is any question about your identity, such as when you want to apply for a credit card in your new name, you will need to provide evidence of your change of address.

Can UK citizens live in Germany?

You must apply for a residence permit if you want to remain in Germany for more than 90 days or work there. You can apply for a visa at the German Embassy in the UK before you go, or you can apply for a residence permit at your local Foreigners' Authority (Auslanderbehorde) once you are in Germany. If you need help with application forms or other information, contact one of the many British communities who will be able to advise on where to find these forms and how to fill them out.

Generally speaking, if you're aged 18-60 and have a job offer, it's easy to get a residence permit. There is also an option of applying for "subsidiary protection" if you're already in Germany and worried about future changes to your status. For more information, contact one of the many British communities who will be able to advise on where to find these forms and how to fill them out.

Yes, if you have been granted a long-term study permit you can look for work in Germany. When you first arrive, it's best to do this so that you can establish yourself with some sort of employment but afterwards you can look for other jobs if you change your mind. It's important to note that not all jobs are available for permanent residency permits so check ahead of time to see if yours is included.

The good news is that people can usually apply for a residence permit if they meet certain conditions.

About Article Author

Terrance Watson

Terrance Watson enjoys exploring new places. He loves meeting locals and learning about their cultures. Terrance has lived in Bali, where he studied Indonesian language and customs. He now uses this knowledge to connect with locals while traveling.

Related posts