Can you have multiple J-1 visas?

Can you have multiple J-1 visas?

We are unable to award you two J visas in a row. If you qualify for the initial J-1 visa, you can bring both DS-2019 forms for your two programs, as well as two SEVIS fee receipts, to the U.S. port of entry. An officer at the port of entry should be able to process your documents faster if you have them with you.

However, if your second program ends before your first one is approved, you will need to find another way to attend school in the United States. The Department of State cannot issue more than one J-1 visa in a 12-month period.

Generally, it is best not to apply for more than one J-1 visa in a year because there is an annual quota of 65,000 such visas available. However, there are cases where applicants receive special permission from the Department of State to submit more than one application. You can find out more about these exceptions by contacting the nearest American embassy or consulate.

The decision on how many schools you can attend during the year is made on a case-by-case basis. We recommend that you try to register with as many schools as possible to increase your chances of finding a program that is willing to accept you. It also helps if you have a strong academic record and some experience working with children or older students. Some schools may require you to have certain credentials or qualifications before they will grant you admission.

Can a scholar with a J-1 visa enter the US?

The DS-2019 is not a visa, and a scholar cannot enter the US only on the basis of the DS-2019; to enter the US, the DS-2019 must be combined with a J-1 visa stamp in the passport. If you are not presently in J-1 status, you must pay the SEVIS fee in order to acquire a J-1 visa and visit the United States, or to convert to J-1 status. Once your period of authorization has ended, you will need to renew it before re-entering the country.

Can I enter the US after my J1 visa starts?

You can go to the United States once you have secured your J-1 visa. Immigration restrictions allow you to enter the country no sooner than 30 days before the start date of your program, as noted in Section 3 of your SEVIS Form DS-2019. These restrictions also specify that you must leave the country by an established return date or else you will be considered illegally remaining in the United States.

It is recommended that you arrange to enter the United States at a port of entry and obtain a new B-entry permit for each trip abroad. This will help ensure that you do not run into any problems at immigration checkpoints.

However, if you already entered the United States through a non-portable entry point (such as an airport with passenger screening) when your J-1 visa started, you can stay until it expires. Your J-1 visa is likely to contain information about which airports are permitted to grant entries to J-visa holders. If no such restriction is indicated, then any airport can admit you as long as they are willing to handle all aspects of the entry process including passport control.

In addition, if you are entering on a temporary basis and plan to depart within 90 days of your arrival, you do not need to secure a new B-entry permit.

About Article Author

Paul Boykin

Paul Boykin has an eye for the dramatic. He loves to travel to explore new cultures and experience the local lifestyle. When he's not traveling, he can be found reading about other worldly topics or watching movies with an interesting plot.

Related posts