Can I travel on my passport after getting married?

Can I travel on my passport after getting married?

The HM Passport Office will cancel your previous passport and postdate your new one under your new name, making it valid from the date of your ceremony. This implies you won't be able to utilize it until the ceremony is over. Your present passport will be revoked, and you will no longer be allowed to travel with it. You will need to obtain a new passport for traveling to foreign countries.

You cannot apply for a new passport while your old one is still active. If you want to travel with your new passport before the old one expires, you'll have to renew it first. The process is simple: go to an embassy or consulate office in person (not online) and pay some money. They will then scan your old passport and create a new one with the same expiration date as your old one. You can only renew your passport once every five years.

The best time to travel with your new passport is within three months of getting married. After this period has passed, there is a chance that your new husband may not allow you to use it. The chances increase if you both are from different countries and he doesn't want you to leave the country.

In case he does refuse to let you use it, he can give several reasons for doing so. Some of them include needing time to prepare himself for the change by thinking about what life would be like with you gone, not having you around to help him with his projects, etc.

Do you have to change your name on your passport after marriage?

Marriage or civil partnership brings many adjustments. Before or after the wedding, you can obtain a new passport under your new name. The name on your passport must match the name on your reservation. If it does not, you will be required to pay additional fees before your passport can be changed.

The name on your passport may not be the same as your married name because some countries do not allow their citizens to use multiple names. So if you are going to travel with someone else's identity document, you should find out what happens if there is a problem with the name on that document. Sometimes a different name appears in the description section of the passport.

You may want to think about changing your name if:

- You want to include your spouse or partner in your travels.

- You want to protect your privacy by not having your old name listed on your passport.

- You want to stop people from calling you by an old name. For example, if you were previously known as Peter and now go by Paul, people who know you only as Peter might call you by that name when talking to you on the phone or in person.

Changing your name will also help if you want to start a new life away from your past mistakes and difficulties.

Is it illegal to keep a passport on a maiden?

However, you are permitted to use a passport under your prior name until it expires. Remember that the name on your plane tickets must match the name on your passport or you may be denied entry. Any firm that offers to alter your name for a price should be avoided.

It is recommended that you carry a copy of your birth certificate with you at all times. If questioned by police, be sure to offer them a copy of your birth certificate.

A maiden name is used as one's full legal name at birth but it is not required in order to use another name. For example, if a woman was given the choice of using either of her parents' names when she signed up for passports, she could choose to go by her mother's name instead. However, most governments require that you provide proof of your identity by presenting an original document with your photo and signature when you apply for a new passport. Therefore, it is recommended that you keep a copy of your birth certificate on file somewhere safe and accessible if asked for identification during a police investigation or other situation where having proof of identity is necessary.

Passports can be replaced if they are lost or stolen, however, there is no free replacement if only part of the passport is missing. In addition, if your passport is damaged, you will need to obtain a free replacement form from the nearest embassy or consulate.

About Article Author

Garrett Sexton

Garrett Sexton is a world traveler who enjoys exploring new cultures, meeting new people and experiencing different things. He's lived in Texas, Ireland, and currently resides in London, England. His love for travel led him to become an agent at Visit Britain where he promotes the country to tourists from all over the world.

Disclaimer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to

Related posts