Can I change my F1 visa to a green card?

Can I change my F1 visa to a green card?

If you are an F-1 student who just married a U.S. citizen or green card holder (permanent resident), you can apply for a marriage-based green card to stay and live in the United States with your spouse. This procedure is called as "modification of status."

A marriage certificate must be notarized before it can be used in filing for this type of application. It is recommended that you get this document notarized before you travel to the United States if you are filing at a U.S. consulate outside of Boston.

You should file for your modification of status as soon as possible after you marry. Your new husband or wife can also file on your behalf if you are separated. However, he or she cannot sign for you or act as your agent in any way during this process.

Your original F-1 visa remains active while your application is being processed by the Department of State. If your petition is approved, then they will send you an acceptance letter. This letter is called a "grant of parole" and it means that you have been granted permission to enter the United States. If your F-1 visa was due to expire within 90 days of when you applied for your modification of status, then you will need to pay another fee to extend it for three months.

How can I change from F1 to a green card?

Marriage is probably the most usual path from F1 to green card. If you marry a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, your spouse can file a Form I-130 petition. The Form I-130 enables you to submit the Form I-485 to USCIS. To proceed directly from F1 to Green Card, you must file both applications. Your spouse must be willing to testify on your behalf in support of your application.

In addition to marriage, certain other circumstances may also cause a person to become eligible for a green card. These include if someone wins the American Dream Award, falls in love with an American, or becomes a member of the military. However, these categories only account for a small fraction of all immigration petitions filed each year. It is important to understand that if your employer requires you to have a work permit to do a job, there is no way to get one. In this case, you will need to find another employer who will allow you to work without one.

The best time to apply for a green card is as soon as possible after becoming eligible. This is because once your application is approved, it can take up to 10 years before you are able to travel to America and visit family members. If you wait until later to apply, you might not be able to go at all. The process of applying for a visa is long and complicated, so it's best to try to do it as early as possible when there are less questions to be answered.

How to transition from a K1 visa to a green card?

As long as you entered the US legally on a K1 visa, you can transfer to a green card. Within 90 days after entering the country, I married a U.S. citizen. I have a K1 visa that is still valid and has not expired. The sooner you seek for a change of status after being married, the better. For more information about these processes, please consult an attorney who specializes in immigration law.

About Article Author

James Marshall

James Marshall works in the travel industry, and enjoys writing about destinations, hotels, and travel tips. He has lived all over the world, including Scotland, England, and Japan.

Related posts